Last year, I tried to help all of those suffering from Unrealistic Holiday Expectation Syndrome (UHES) by offering a different perspective on what constitutes a successful holiday season (http://bigsheepcommunications.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/the-post-holiday-success-quiz/). Let’s face it, if you expect your holiday gathering to turn out like the happy ending of a Hallmark channel Christmas special, you WILL be disappointed.
If the holidays have left you feeling disappointed, depressed, deflated, perhaps you just need to recalibrate your measure of success. Here’s this year’s Post-Holiday Success Quiz:
1. No one gave you an atrociously ugly Christmas sweater like one of these that you felt compelled to wear, to your complete humiliation, out in public at a holiday party.
2. While your family gathering had all the usual snide comments, snarky teasing, back-handed compliments and my-kids-are-better-than-your-kids competition, the nastiness stopped short of fisticuffs and the evening did not end with anyone taking a trip to the county jail.
3. If you traveled by air to see your loved ones over the holidays, you did not have your freshly baked cupcakes confiscated by the TSA nor did you end up on a flight with Alec Baldwin.
4. You wisely ate before going to Aunt Belinda’s house for dinner, knowing from past experience that no surface in her home is off limits to her many cats.
5. You remembered to glance in the ladies’ room mirror and untuck the back of your dress from your underpants before heading back out to the festivities at your company’s Christmas party.
6. Santa Claus did not have an anaphylactic reaction to the peanut butter cookies you left out for him, therefore sparing you from forever being known as the family who killed Santa.
7. The over-the-top light display that your next door neighbor created did not cause a transformer to blow, allowing you to enjoy the holidays with electricity (even though those lights kept you up all night).
If you checked off 3 or more of the items above, congratulations, your holiday was a success! If not, OMG, I’m so very sorry and you have every right to be upset.